|Event: Sail Melbourne International 2020||Race Number: 5|
|Protesting Boat: 6||Protested Boat: 5|
|Submitted Date/time: 18 Jan 2020 17:40|
|Hearing Details: Kite Failed|
- Boards 5, 6 and 11 were on starboard tack shortly after the start.
- 5 was leading followed by 6 with 11 to leeward between the two boards.
- The boards were travelling at about 20 knots with a separation of approximately 30 metres between each board.
- The kite of 5 collapsed and then inverted and tangled with 6.
- The sailor of 11 jumped off his board to avoid the lines of 5.
- 6 was unable to complete the race or the following race.
- 11 recovered and completed the race in last place (13th).
- 5 retired from the race.
- By changing the position of her kite and not giving the other boards room to keep clear, 5 has broken F2 16.1.
- 5 retired from the race and cannot be further penalised but is scored RCT.
- 6's score in race 5 was made significantly worse through no fault of her own, through a tangle caused by the action of a kiteboard that was breaking a rule of Part 2. (F2 16.1) and is entitled to redress.
- As there was no injury, damage or a tangle, 11 is not entitled to redress.
| ||F2 16.1, F5 62.1 (b), F5 64.1 (d), F8 A11|
- 6 to be scored for races 5 and 6 an average of the points scored for each of the first four races sailed.
- Redress is denied for 11.
- 5 is to be scored RCT.
| ||Jonathon Rees AUS NJ (Chairman), Christina Heydon AUS NJ, John Rountree NZL IJ, MAZARD Philippe FRA IJ, Murray Jones AUS IJ|